Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sinus Infections Stink... but today it felt like spring and I learned how to cook Spanish food!

So Sunday morning I woke up with a really bad sinus infection. Well I should say I woke up various times during my sleep and then finally got up more towards the afternoon. The pharmacies here are very helpful in helping you find what you need. I went in, told the pharmacist I had a sinus infection, he asked me the usual symptom questions and then he said, well you probably should go to the doctor and get some antibiotics prescribed. I explained to him that I was allergic to penicillin and would be happy with some nasal spray if that's all they had. Then he said, oh! well if you are allergic to penicillin and I know that, then I can give you this other antibiotic for people allergic to penicillin. And there I was, with antibiotics without a prescription. I got better rapidly taking the antibiotics so soon after discovering my sickness. Monday was pretty miserable in class, but otherwise I've been doing well.

Today was a great day though. I'm pretty close to kicking the sickness, finishing up the antibiotics (which are in a powder form that you make into a nasty orange drink). It was close to 60 degrees outside, sunny and beautiful! I opted to walk instead of take the metro to the Prado Museum where my class was being held. It was amazing to see the paintings in person that we were just discussing and analyzing in class.

Then as part of my food and culture workshop I got to go to a cooking class. It felt a little Rachel Ray the way the kitchen was set up and how most of the food was prepped and ready to go. We made sangria and some little appetizers to snack on while we watched and learned. They made a Paella (with chicken, oysters, clams, and shrimp with the heads still on), Torta de Santiago (a cake made with ground almonds instead of flour), and we all got to make our own Tortilla Espanola (a Spanish omelet made with fried potatoes). It was delicious and fun and we left learning a few new recipes and with full bellies.

I'm very excited about the trip I booked in March to visit Briana in London, roundtrip for 50 euros. Gotta love Europe!

I'm looking forward to this weekend because Sunday is my new friend Samantha's birthday and so we'll probably go out for dinner and go out Saturday night.












2 comments:

  1. so jealous, because my round-trip flights to see you are about 100 pounds :(

    oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found the comment section. had a good yoga session tonight. Love your cooking picture, Inspite of the sinuses, sounds like lots of fun. Talk to you this weekend, PAW

    ReplyDelete